Port Huron Schubert Male Chorus
Originally named The Schubert Club, the Chorus is a charter member of the Great Lakes Male Chorus Association (formerly the Michigan Male Chorus Association) and is in its 99th continuous year. The Chorus was founded in 1907 by John E. Coulter with a membership of 14 men. Mr. Coulter, the first conductor, moved to Detroit in 1913 and George D. MacComb was elected to succeed him. The Chorus presented its first public concert in the Port Huron Elks Temple on March 18, 1913. In 1950 Mr. MacComb was elected to the honorary position of Conductor Emeritus and Robert E. Dierks was elected conductor. In 1987 Mr. Dierks was elected to the honorary position of Conductor Emeritus and Rob Phillips, the assistant conductor, was elected conductor. When Mr. Phillips resigned in 1990, James Brown, the Chorus' accompanist, carried on the conducting duties in the interim. Mr. Matthew V. Jones was hired as the conductor and music director the same year and is only the fifth director in the 99 years of the Port Huron Schubert Male Chorus' existence.
The principle activity of the Chorus has been with concerts for various church and fraternal organizations throughout the blue water area. For many years in the early part of its history the Chorus co-produced shows with the American Legion, Exchange Club and the Port Huron Elks Lodge. The Inter-City Sing, begun in 1948, is an annual event held in Port Huron which brings in other members of the Great Lakes Male Chorus Association as well as other male choruses from the United States and Canada. In the past few years this show has been done "Cabaret" style, which includes a full meal. Since 1997 the Chorus has sponsored the Blue Water Community Chorus, a 100 voice chorus which presents a yearly concert of seasonal music including selections from Handel's "The Messiah".